Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 2009

Please excuse my absence, I've been trying to stay sane with everything June has had me up to.


First, I had to keep my students entertained until the last day, which was a feat unto itself. The 8th had been checked out since the 1st of June, and I all but had to juggle textbooks for them to pay attention. When the last day finally came, I realized that I would definitely miss those kids, especially the ones that I had forged a connection with. I told one that I was planning on going to his high school graduation, and when I said that, he looked at me, and said, "do you really think I'll make it there?"

I said, "of course you will!" And his eyes teared up and he said, "okay teacher, I will see you there!"

I hate to sound cliche, but it's moments like that that seem to evaporate all the bad days. It has been such a great year, and I have learned so much. I don't think those kids realize how much they have taught me about patience, compassion, commitment, humor, and love. I owe them a lot, and will miss them next year.

My 8th graders


Good luck with everything, guys!

Also in the last few weeks, we've decided on a new apartment here in Corvallis, and are planning to move on my birthday, July 1st. It is going to be a big move for us, but I think we're ready. Also, we get to choose paint colors, and being the gigantic HGTV freak that I am, I am totally excited about that.

Finally, but most importantly, Evan graduated from Oregon State University on the 13th, with two degrees! One in Education and one in History, plus a teaching license. It was exciting to sit and watch him culminate these last five years of school. He has worked hard, and I could not be more proud of him! It's funny to think that we met as college freshmen, and are still together and facing new experiences as graduates. I can't wait to see what new adventures Life takes us on!

Evan in the sea of graduates

Apparently, OSU has a song that Alumni are supposed to know

Me with the new alum!

Congrats, Ev!

1 comment:

anagermarquez said...

Congratulations to both of you on your accomplishments this year, and our best wishes for next year's adventure :)

Mama & Papo