Thursday, June 26, 2008

yays and nays

So, I know I've been gone for a while, but I plan to make it up to you guys with what will probably be a hugely long post. I've decided to copy our OSU newspaper, The Barometer by listing off recent events in my life as either "yays" or "nays." Here goes:
  • Yay to graduating from college.

  • Nay to summer classes after you've gone through the, "you're finally done!!" speech.

  • Yay to getting 100 bucks for graduating from college.

  • Nay to having to spend that 100 bucks on an accounting book, financial calculator, and Statistics 201 study guides.

  • Yay to buying Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, one of my favorite authors.

  • Nay to forgetting to bring it back with me to Corvallis.

  • Yay for friends loaning you other books, like Caramelo, by Sandra Cisneros. I highly recommend it.
  • Nay for friends, when you realize that they have all summer to be free and merry, while you're stuck in a 3.5 hour accounting class every. single. day. Starting at 8am.

  • Yay to being completely done with said accounting class in three weeks, even if it means selling my soul to a financial calculator.
  • Nay to not having AC in our apartment, which results in us yelling at each other to be heard over the fans and the roar of traffic (well...the few cars we have that pass by. It's Corvallis. Anything more than 12, and we call it traffic) that comes through our windows.

  • Yay to 3.5 hour accounting classes, because they are held in a firmly refrigerated room. Seriously, I wear a sweatshirt to class, and I'm still shivering. This is a conundrum, because I have to peel it off as soon as I walk outside and realize that the sun has literally descended upon Corvallis.

  • Nay to having to ponder the dilemma of either carrying your sweatshirt over your arm like a butler's towel, or doing the uber dorky tie-around-the-waist technique from 7th grade. The latter of which strongly rivals the fanny-pack in loser level fashion.

  • Yay to getting the IKEA Stuff for my Sims2. I probably love building and decorating the houses for my Sims than actually playing the game. Now with the IKEA stuff, I'll never play, but that's okay, because my Sims will be living in style...in pause mode.

  • Nay to never actually decorating anything because my life is dedicated to pumping out cash flow statements and balance sheets on Excel for the aforementioned devil of an accounting class.

  • Yay to my birthday in 2 days. 21 has been a good year, and 22 will be even better. I am making sure of that.

  • Nay to class stomping all over my birthday, since it is on a Tuesday, along with the crushing irony of the fact that I was always jealous of the kids whose birthdays fell during the school year, and their moms would bring cupcakes and punch, and that now my birthday is falling during the school year, my last school year ever, and it probably couldn't be less unpleasant. I don't even know if cupcakes or punch could make it better.

  • Yay to funfetti cake, which my mom has made for almost all of my birthdays before college, and could maybe, potentially, hopefully, make having a birthday on a school day bearable.

  • Nay to ruining about 3 weeks worth of exercise when I bite into a small country sized piece of funfetti cake on Tuesday.

  • Yay to my parents, who are amazing, and without them, I wouldn't be here (literally) writing about how I made it through college and life. The best part of graduation was hearing them say, "We are so proud of you, mija." They love me even if I'm a chubster who loves her cake. And eats it too. (I couldn't help it.)

  • Nay to my parents indulging my chubster fantasies by taking me to the Olive Garden for my birthday.

  • Yay to Olive Garden breadsticks. They are the carb equivalent of Matt Damon in my fantasy dreams.
=

  • Nay to not being able to think of a cute and clever way to end this post, because I am tired from an 8 hour class I had to take, and sore from shooting dart guns.

  • Yay to ending the post on a positive note, with the promise (to the 5 people who read this blog) that I will write more often. And, speaking of notes, how about a song or two to leave you with? The first is Sea of Love by Cat Power, and the second is I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Enjoy!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

The breadsticks next to that little 30-something studmuffin definitely has psychological implications.

To quote Team America: "MATT DAMON."

I felt smart knowing that mija was the contraction of mi hija. Shut up. (Not labor contractions, though.)

Glad to see you're living a balanced life. Happy graduation.

Carl Duzett said...

Good post.