Thursday, July 17, 2008

Farmer's Market!

Evan and I decided to swing down to the Corvallis Farmer's Market this last weekend because it was a gorgeous day, and because this event has been going on steadily every weekend we've lived here (and probably a few thousand years before) and we've steadily slept through it every weekend.

We usually save our Saturday "dates" for the evening, opting to stay inside and be hermits for the day. Switching it up was fun, minus the fact that we emerged into the early afternoon sun like a pair of moles, squinting and shying away from the bright light.

Anyway, we headed down a few blocks, and we had a really good time. At the risk of sounding like a travel brochure, the Corvallis waterfront is really nicely laid out, and even though there were a lot of people, it was comfy. The vendors were really nice, and had samples of just about everything, including some homemade french bread, which I painfully had to pass on. Instead, I took my carb-frustrations out on some organic cauliflower.

I could never make it look as good as that bread.


Next, we hit up the local artisan's market, which was also very cool. Not Saturday Market cool, but I can see how living in puny Corvallis would stifle your creativity.


Why is it that we are so tempted to buy homemade stuff we don't need? I don't even drink tea. But I wanted it.




I wasn't so tempted by these, as I don't need an already dented...thing.


Another prime example of something that I totally fell in love with, and I have no idea why.


After we perused all the things we wanted for no reason and thankfully couldn't afford, we just meandered around Corvallis. Actually, that's not true. Evan ended up buying an elephant carved out of wood. It was five bucks because it was missing a tusk, so we named it Tusko, after the elephant that had a tusk removed at the Oregon Zoo.

It's funny to think I've been here for four years and I haven't really explored the town outside of campus. I always used to scoff at New Yorkers who'd say they had lived there their entire lives and they've never been to Times Square, but now I can relate.

There is also some pretty nifty architecture in this town. I'm impressed that Corvallis had the foresight to save some of its earliest buildings. I actually really like learning about architecture, and if I wasn't completely inept with all things even remotely mathematical, I would have considered being an architect. Oh well. Taking pictures will have to suffice.



This building used to be a general store in 1908 or something, and now it houses a Sprint store and disgruntled college students.


Same building. I love that some guy has been forced to climb up the building and paint those little decorations bright blue for the last 100 years.


This is the City Hall. We can actually see it from our apartment, and the bells still ring out the hours, which I like. I'm sorry I caught the flag looking so droopy.

Overall, it was a really great afternoon. I'm sure there will be more Corvallis exploration adventures, even if the town is only about 5 miles long.

2 comments:

anagermarquez said...

Once again, really nice pictures! It sounds like you and Evan had a great day at the Saturday Market. I can't wait to go to the Portland one on Saturday! ;)

Carl Duzett said...

You're a good photographer.